MacBook Pro 17"

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ClearGlass
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: MacBook Pro 17"
In reply to Tom_N, Oct 14, 2012

I have a 17" that I bought in April, 2012. It's a 2.4 ghz. I upgraded the RAM to 16gbs (from Crucial.com) and I put in a Corsair Force Series GT solid state drive (SSD) to run the operating system, lightroom, and a few other commonly used programs. I then put in a 7,200 rpm, 750 gb hard-drive where the disc drive was.

To answer your question- yes a 5,400 rpm hard drive is a major bottleneck. You don't need to go with a solid state drive, but at least go with a 7,200 rpm drive. Though, while you have it open, you might as well just go with a solid state drive.

With the RAM upgrades and the SSD the computer is easily twice as fast as my brand new Macbook Air. Programs open instantly (literally). I can open MS Word in less than 2-seconds. The computer will boot from being completely shut-off to the start screen in under 7-seconds. As you can tell, I highly recommend the 17". There are also plenty of backpacks and briefcases that are made for the 17" (if that is a concern for you).

I've thought about getting a macbook pro w/retina display, but it's really not worth it. The 17-inch's DPI are not that far off to the naked eye.

In summary, I've never owned a better notebook and I've typically purchased 2-macbook pros, per year, on average, for the last decade. You will certainly not be let down by going this route.

ClearGlass's gear list:ClearGlass's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow