ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gospel
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
I used to think the EZ feature was just marketing hype
Oct 14, 2012

Hi all,

I got my new FZ200 about 10 days ago.  I fell in luv with ultra-zoom cameras when I got the 2MP 12x zoom FZ1. I eventually upgraded to the 5MP 12x zoom FZ20.  Shortly after Panasonic added the EZ feature to their cameras.  Unfortunately, you have to lower the resolution to get the higher EZ factor.

i've always thought that the EZ feature was just marketing hype.  My thinking was, "Of course they can claim a higher zoom factor if the camera electronically cropped 8MP image down to 5MP or 3MP or 1MP!"

I was wrong!  Over the last couple of days I've been playing with the EZ feature on the FZ200.  I wash't expecting much.  At 12MP, I zoomed in (24x) on a platform bird feeder that was about 12' away.  Then jumped down to  5MP and pushed the zoom to "37.5x".  The image enlarged and the background BLURRED!  Jumped down to 3MP and pushed the zoom to "46.9x"  The image enlarged further and the background blurred EVEN more!

This convinced me there was actually lens action going on and the image was NOT being electronically cropped.  The fully blurred background in the 3MP case is highly desirable to me.

Do I "now" have the details right?  What are your impressions of the "EZ" feature?

Thanks!

Steven

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow