Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
Picked up another 55-250 for my t3i
Oct 14, 2012

Since I sold my last 55-250 bundled with my old t3i with it.  I missed this lens too much and had to get one again (as well as my t3i).  Paid $120 pre-owned but mint condition and included a nice 3rd party hood.  Checked out perfectly on inspection and at home.  I also shoot with a 5DMKII and could have opened up to premium telephotos but just don't have the need to spend that kind of money yet.  The next jump up that would have everything I'd need would have been the 70-200 f4/IS, but I just don't think I do too much telephoto work.

Cropped 8x10 test shot I took prior to purchase around 6pm

Test shot indoors, looks like 4 stop IS works wonderfully.

I needed at least *one* 4 stop IS lens on my t3i and it'd be utterly useful for video work.  I've already shot a video of 250mm + 3x digital zoom (cropped off the sensor) and it's pretty insane...I think that is like 750mm? video of decent quality with IS.

http://youtu.be/K0ADYYFSwng

That sample video I just uploaded and shot from really really far away obviously suffers from noise because I had no light to work with.  But as you can see this can be really really useful for daylight video and the IS is working pretty well (can you imagine a 750mm video without any IS?)

One reason I really like it on my t3i is that I like it just permanently attached to it.  Telephoto shots are either planned/prepared events, or they are spontaneous moments that are lost by the time you swap lens.

Really a bargain lens and APS-C camera...mirrorless telephoto offerings are pretty bad, and FF telephoto lens are pretty expensive to keep 4-stop IS and have a bump up in speed at f2.8!  Definitely a sweet spot in pricing and performance I think.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow