Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS OR 70-200mm f/4 IS .. Opinions needed..

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ryllz
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS OR 70-200mm f/4 IS .. Opinions needed..
Oct 14, 2012

Hi All,

I'm quite new to the photography world and just recently purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC to use with my new T4i.  That in addition to a 40mm pancake are the only 2 lenses I have outside of the kit lenses that came with my T4i.

So i've read some reviews on both and now I find myself quite torn between these 2 lenses.

since i'm quite new to Photography I have not fully shaped what im looking to get out of it but I am definitely very engaged to this art form; taking classes online, watching DVD's and reading about photography... and enjoying myself taking photos daily and post-processing primarily in Lightroom.

What i'd like to do is take Portrait photos of people, babies and dogs both indoors and outdoors as im surrounded with those on the daily with occasional landscape and street photography.  Also, currently i've signed up for workshops on portraiture with models in the class.  They plan to do both indoor and outdoor shooting.  Starts in a couple weeks.

From your years of experiences is the 25-105 f/4 better suited for what im trying to do as I stated above or is the 70-200 f/4 a better option?  Basing on your experiences some pros/cons would be great.

As an additional note, my budget only allows for either of these 2 lenses currently unless there are other lenses I should consider near or lower than these price points.

thanks kindly for sharing your knowledge!

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow