African Safari: Panasonic 100-300 or Olympus 75-300?

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sinan Tarlan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,855Gear list
Like?
African Safari: Panasonic 100-300 or Olympus 75-300?
Oct 14, 2012

Trying to figure out the best option. I already have the Oly 45-150 f/4-5.6 which is a decent lens but I will need more reach as I am going to the Masai Mara in July.

I have an OM-D E-M5. I am leaning towards the Panasonic option for 2 primary reasons: faster at 300mm at f/5.6 vs. f/6.7 and the other reason being I hate to pay $900 for an f4.8-6.7 variable aperture lens.

However, my concern lies in the reports I've read with the Panasonic's focus with it potentially being more troublesome than the Olympus which I find surprising given the faster aperture range which should let in more light. I'm not dead concerned with tack sharpness at 300mm although samples from both look good enough so I am not as worried about IQ but more about the focus and aperture speed, etc. Size of the lenses is not an issue either.

Anyone used the 100-300 for a safari? Any reason why I should opt for the Olympus for my purposes?

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
 Sinan Tarlan's gear list:Sinan Tarlan's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow