Upgrading from d40 to d600. 1K lens Budget. Go!

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
procto21
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Upgrading from d40 to d600. 1K lens Budget. Go!
Oct 14, 2012

I am upgrading from a d40 to a d600.  I have held out long enough and wanted to get as much as I could afford.  I shoot landscapes, my family (moving and non-moving), sporting events (mostly my kids soccer and basketball).  I will also use the d600 for video with a tripod.  I currently have:

15-55mm dx (non-vr)

55-200mm dx (non-vr)

35mm dx 1.8

50mm 1.8D

I pretty much only use the 18-55 when I need a landscape or group shot.  Mostly, I use the 55-200 at sporting events almost exclusively, the 50 for portraits and the 35 for just about everything. I understand the crop sensor mode on the dx lenses.  I am going to sell the d40 and use that money as part of the lens.

Objectives:

1) Find a good all-around lens for everything (decently sharp, decent range and zoom) FX all around lens that can tackle most situations.

2) If this allows money left over, probably getting another prime.

Interested in these, but open to anything:

24-85mm VR (kit lens) - This appears to be a great all around lens, but I am worried about reach. Would leave money open for something else new or used.

28-300mm VR - This appears to cover everything, but would tackle most of the budget in one swoop.

Open to other brands as long as they are reliable.  Have no issue with buying used either.

Nikon D40 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow