Sigma Software

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma Software
In reply to rattymouse, Oct 14, 2012

Rattymouse,

Glad to see you are interested in Sigma imaging, if even in a somewhat negative way.

I have been thrilled to see your excellent X10 photos on the Fujifilm forum over the past year.  I've posted a few there too, but they are not in the same league as yours artistically.

I have been a Sigma user for a long time before I bought my X10 (which still has the unmodified sensor I am proud to say).  I started out with a 50mm F1.4 lens for my Canon 30D, then I tried a DP2 camera and was completely blown away by the wonderful image quality.  Later I bought a SD15 because I felt quite limited by the fixed focal length of the DP2.  Now I own a SD1, bought when the original $8700 production run got a price cut to $2295.  Truly excellent imaging from all these.

Certainly Sigma can't touch the ease with which the X10 delivers high quality JPGs: the closest thing to a straight line from camera to print I've ever seen.

But, the lack of artifacts at the limits of resolution shown in all Sigma images severely trounces any other sensor (color-filter sensors, no matter how good).  The only other sensor that comes anywhere close is the sensor in the Leica monochrom, but it can't deliver a color image.

This is why I am willing to put up with all the quirks, including any hiccups from SPP.

My experience with SPP on my MacBook Pro 13.3" has been consistently good.  Few crashes, slow processing, and absolutely breathtaking results.  Not too much to put up with, in my opinion.

And, you have not lived until you have wrestled with Sigma DSLRs, with their inconsistent focus, erratic exposure control, lack of high-ISO functionality, blotchy shadows, etc, etc.  It's all worth it to me however when I see the results.

My keeper rate is about 1 shot in 10, and I think I am doing pretty well.  It's hard for me to believe the wondrous results I have been getting with large (24" x 36") prints from the SD1, while the X10 images show their limits plainly at 13" x 19".

I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet so if you are already a Sigma camera user I will soon find out.  If you are not using a Sigma camera I highly recommend trying one.  My guess is you will find the DPxM cameras too limiting since they have only a fixed focal length.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow