Which point and shoot compact digital camera is best for my needs?

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Questions thread
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?
Re: Which point and shoot compact digital camera is best for my needs?
In reply to duquetten, Oct 13, 2012

Your criteria seems to be near DSLR quality and performance that is pocketable with a budget not to exceed $350.  My suggestion is get a few more friends and family  to chip in for your Christmas gift to say $625-650 and get a Sony (I know you hate Sony) RX100.  I think this camera  hits all your wants except budget.  If you are willing to go bigger get the Canon G1X. From what I have read the Canon G1X will give you great quality even in low light, but it is not pocketable (unless you have enormous pockets) and it costs about $650.  In any case go to a camera store and see how the cameras you think best fits your needs (rather than your wants)  feel and take test shots before deciding.

Unfortunately, in the camera world you get what you pay for.  The more you pay, the better the quality and usually the larger the package. If you are willing to compromise and give up some of your must haves (great low light performance long lens), you can find some decent cameras within your budget.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow