New to Panasonic G5 and M43 - a couple of questions?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lawrence Becker
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?
New to Panasonic G5 and M43 - a couple of questions?
Oct 13, 2012

I'm a Canon 5DII shooter with lots of nice L glass, nice HEAVY L glass, and wanted a good travel camera that wasn't too expensive - The Olympus OM-D fit the bill but was more than I wanted to spend (started out looking at the Canon G1X, but the G5 14-42 Kit lens, with $100 rebate, fit the bill.  With that and the 45-175 (local store matched Amazon), I think I'm set to travel light. (I know, not L lens quality, but they seem ok and up to 8x10's print well from raw captures/pp in PS6).

I was reading a review of the G5 here: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g5_review/

...and saw this: "On the left of the G5 is the MIC / Remote socket for use with the optional remote shutter release and external microphone, and two connection ports, including a HDMI port for connecting the G5 to a HD television or monitor."

Not a deal-breaker for me, but this doesn't seem to be true. The manual doesn't mention it, and trying it in the store with a Sennheiser video mic, the jack doesn't seem to function as a MIC input. I don't see anything in the menu system either. Am I missing something here, or does the jack not work as an external mic input and the reviewer is wrong? I saw that someone asked about it on the review site a while back but the question wasn't answered.

Again, not make or break - primary function for the camera is for vacation and casual photos, but it would have been a nice plus.

Second question - Flash... the pop-up is ok, but maybe the Panasonic FL-360? Seems a little, well, older technology, but maybe ok. Or the Metz 50 Af1? Or???

Thanks for your patience with the M43 newbie...

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow