Finally got my EM5
Finally got my EM5
Oct 13, 2012
I Tried to get one over the summer, but it arrived in August when I was packing to leave my other residence and I didn't have the time (wanted to check out possibilities of rattlesnaking, Panny 20mm 1.7 lockup, IBIB shutter shock issues, and other horror stories I read about, etc.) to check it out. So, I had to send that one back because I knew I would be tied up for a while.
The next EM5 arrived with a defective touch screen. I posted about that over a week ago and I thank everybody that replied.
I was a little discouraged as I had never had a defective camera on delivery but I went ahead and asked for another camera. It arrived and I installed the firmware update to 1.5. I've had and have M43 Pannys but this is my first Olympus and my initial reactions are:
1. IBIS is incredible; I can't say enough good things about it.
2. No problem with the interface. I am adapting to it without issue.
3. I will keep my GH2 as I do use more than casual video, but I was impressed (haven't done extensive testing) with the footage on the EM5; it's much better than I expected, especially using IBIS.
4. I have to do more testing, but the low light capabilities seem excellent. I do have to admit that I probably won't go over 1600 in normal usage, especial with the incredible IBIS.
5. I don't have super large hands but larger than average for a man, and I have no problems with controlling the buttons and dials. I prefer the smaller size than any conveniences a larger camera would offer.
I have to use it more to fully check out the DR and other features, but I really like this camera so far. It's almost like somebody put a pod under my bed (from the film, "The Body Snatchers") and turned me into an Oly boy. No, I'm not going to get into a comparison between Panasonic and Olympus–I couldn't care less about the companies–but this is one camera I will put to good use.