My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: seems ok to me
In reply to intensity studios, Oct 13, 2012

intensity studios wrote:

the pics you posted don't look that terrible for a $50 lens. I see this more as a toy camera lens where you play around with it and embrace its flaws.

But I could be completely wrong because I don't own it.

-- hide signature --

Exactly what I was thinking.  You have to approach it as a toy lens that sparks you to make different types of images, as tool to spark your creativity.  It's similar to when I tried a Fujian 35 1.7 CCTV lens.  It has weird swirly bokeh, wasn't incredibly sharp, but it was a blast to shoot with.  Like a Lensbaby but instead of costing a couple of hundred dollars it was $29.95 from Amazon.

Still, I'm not sure what you were expecting but a lens with no aperture and that is likely a simple triplet or doublet is simply not capable of the kind of optical performance of a proper lens.  The good thing is sometimes these kinds of lenses get us to think differently, and approach photography with a fresh set of eyes.

Lastly, I actually think the image with the bikes (PA123028) doesn't look that bad.  In general with this lens you may need to turn the radius up on the USM a bit more than with your better lenses, but distortion is low, and acutance looks adequate for many situations.

Anyway, it's a cool looking lens, and not too expensive so don't sweat it.  Use it in health and enjoy.

Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow