Would anyone buy D lenses over G lenses just for build quality?

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jan3x5
Senior MemberPosts: 2,484Gear list
Like?
Re: Would anyone buy D lenses over G lenses just for build quality?
In reply to Lachlanf, Oct 13, 2012

As I do not see any issue in G lenses build quality and they offer both better image quality and focusing accuracy, my answer is definitely not.

I remember that I was also disappointed, when moving from fully metal lenses to the newer ones with polycarbonate outer shelf... but I was wrong. The point is that the outer shelf does not mean the lens is "plastic" as the better lenses are made of metal inside (just check it by looking through the front element or find images of lens cutted in half) and the plastic outer shelf is really handy. Firstly, it gets much less cold in winter, secondly it is difficult to scratch and even if you break it (have not seen such case so far), replacing the shelf should be much cheaper than scratched/broken metal one. That being said, some of my metal lenses suffered from knocks (scratches or even paint came off), but those "plastic" look still as new. I fully understand everybody expressing his love to old lenses and like the feeling as well... but in real life, the newer ones work simply better for me.

-- hide signature --

www.intopicture.com

Jan3x5's gear list:Jan3x5's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow