Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: 9-18mm or 12-50?
In reply to ogremage, Oct 13, 2012

ogremage wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

Based on my experience with both lenses, they both are weakest at their widest focal lengths. My 9-18 is a great 11-18mm wide angle, but a relatively poor 9mm superwide.

Stramgely, SLR gear test showed it sharpest at 9mm. Of course it could be individual lens differences.

I wonder what the experience of others is.

-- hide signature --

flickr: http://ow.ly/eojki
K1000 -> A70 -> K100D -> GF1 -> E-M5

I don't have a problem with it. It does have a good bit of color fringing, but what UWA in this price class doesn't?

In my experience, all Micro Four Thirds lenses are good enough. Even the problems with "bad" lenses (like the 200mm end of my 45-200mm, which people often criticize) are typically minor enough to be ignored - unless you are pixel peeping and looking for defects.

IMO, if you nail focus and get the shutter speed high enough, any native lens will be fine even for moderate crops and pretty large prints. Which means it comes down, in this case, to two things: focal length, and weather sealing. The 12-50mm is tempting to own for the weather sealing if nothing else, but 12mm - though wide - is worlds apart from 9mm.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow