The perfect Auto ISO. So close, but yet so far

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Arel OP New Member • Posts: 21
Re: The perfect Auto ISO. So close, but yet so far

Yes, I can use M and control everything, but then I must turn a few knobs more than really needed. I am perhaps really bad at multitasking, but I tend to use a few seconds to change the shutterspeed, aperture and ISO. That can be enough to miss a shot. I want my camera to do exactly what I want with as little button-pushing as possible. And what I usually want is:

ISO: As low as possible
Shutterspeed: Short enough to prevent motionblur, but not so short that ISO gets bumped unnecessarily
Aperture: Manually controlled

Auto ISO in Aperture mode does exactly that. It will always give me the lowest possible ISO without risking a to long shutterspeed. The only problem is going into the menu to change the "minimum shutter speed" according to my shooting situation.

I do like taking control, but only over the things that matter to my picture. The Lightmeter is my guide in M mode anyway so why not just let the camera do as much as it can without compromising the end result. When the lightmeter is inaccurate i still have ex. comp. (For longer exposures with a tripod I of course use M mode, but then I tend to have more time to do the adjustments.)

Btw. I have a D5100, in M mode the exposure compensation button changes aperture. Meaning no ex. comp. in M mode for me..

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow