The perfect Auto ISO. So close, but yet so far

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Arel
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: The perfect Auto ISO. So close, but yet so far
In reply to Bailey151, Oct 13, 2012

Yes, I can use M and control everything, but then I must turn a few knobs more than really needed. I am perhaps really bad at multitasking, but I tend to use a few seconds to change the shutterspeed, aperture and ISO. That can be enough to miss a shot. I want my camera to do exactly what I want with as little button-pushing as possible. And what I usually want is:

ISO: As low as possible
Shutterspeed: Short enough to prevent motionblur, but not so short that ISO gets bumped unnecessarily
Aperture: Manually controlled

Auto ISO in Aperture mode does exactly that. It will always give me the lowest possible ISO without risking a to long shutterspeed. The only problem is going into the menu to change the "minimum shutter speed" according to my shooting situation.

I do like taking control, but only over the things that matter to my picture. The Lightmeter is my guide in M mode anyway so why not just let the camera do as much as it can without compromising the end result. When the lightmeter is inaccurate i still have ex. comp. (For longer exposures with a tripod I of course use M mode, but then I tend to have more time to do the adjustments.)

Btw. I have a D5100, in M mode the exposure compensation button changes aperture. Meaning no ex. comp. in M mode for me..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow