Macro Lens for a77

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769
Like?
Re: Macro Lens for a77
In reply to gooseta, Oct 13, 2012

gooseta wrote:

Why would you need USD for a macro? I MF 99% of the time with it and without mf I just use the limiter to make it decently good.

I think the important change for this lens is the fact it is internal focusing so it doesn't extend when you go close.  That is quite an improvement in my view.

The Tamron 60mm works like this and because it does the minimum distance from the front of the lens when at 1:1 is virtually the same as the old Tamron 90mm.

So by the same token this new 90mm ought to give slightly longer effective working distances.

I am after a macro lens myself and the Sony 100 gives the longest working distances of any of the current crop of lenses I looked at 60mm Tamron, old 90mm Tamron and the Sony 100mm (the new Sigma is more expensive than the Sony so that is out the window as a choice).

This new Tamron says min focus is 11.8 while the Sony is 13.8  but it depends where this is measured from.  If it is from the focus plane (i,e, from the sensor) which I think it is then the fact the Sony is 6 inches long when fully extended means the working distance is actually 7.8 inches (disregarding the distance from the lens mount flange to the sensor) .  The Tamron is 4.8 inches long so that also gives a working distance of 7.8 inches.

Well it should by my reckoning but the spec linked to in this thread of the new Tamrom 90mm says working distance 5.5 inches which is a bit confusing!  Not sure where they measured that from!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow