Is your market driven by quality or by network?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marcio_napoli
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Is your market driven by quality or by network?
Oct 13, 2012

Hi !

I just wanted to ask photographers from all over the world how is the grass over there.

I mainly do fashion photography, and after a 6-year career, that looks like a 6-year long vacation in Hell, I'm ready to quit.

I never, ever feel it's a quality driven market.  It's ALWAYS a network thing.

It doesn't matter if your quality is high and you're hard working. Clients around here never pay attention to your portfolio.

They always seek for the one wich is more "recommended", by word-of-mouth.

It's very common that these guys are the ones who started in the business 15 - 20 years ago, and they have built a reputation around their names and a large network, and so they're easily recommended.

But the thing is: these photographers do not always have the best portfolio, it's just that they arrived many years ago, and faced a market where they could grow (as the competition wasn't that fierce at the time).

The problem is that clients take their names as Gospels, and nothing you can do will change that.

You can't even schedule a 15 minute meeting to show what you've got, as clients are not interested.

I used to believe I was a poor business man, and only had some skills with my camera.

Right now, I believe I've tried everything to promote myself, and it simply did not work.

Every single attempt I've tried ended in frustration and lost money.

After 6 painful years, I'm going out of business before it's too late.

I don't know if it's something related to the particular area where I live, or if it's something related to the fashion market itself.

I just wanted to know how is the market out there.

Do you guys show good work, and you grow as a result? Do you increase quality, and clients come?

Or it doesn't matter? Great quality or "ok" quality is the same, and all it matters is how well connected your are?

Is your market quality driven, or that never existed in the first place, and I've been 6 years believing in some kind of utopia?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Thanks and have a great day

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

www.marcionapoli.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow