Sigma Software

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
cquarksnow
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
Re: I see OP disappeared rather quickly
In reply to Basalite, Oct 13, 2012

Has anyone found yet from Adobe or Microsoft what the issue about releasing a Raw Codec for the Merrill sensor seems to be ?

Meanwhile it might be useful to clearly delineate all the issues (showing 16bpc samples) to see what artifacts might exist with SPP5.3.2 to 16-bit tiff. Sigma might be a big company, but they might not realize that there are customers that are not color-blind and unfortunately can't use jpg, not to mention dynamic range, or they don't think someone buying a $999 camera will watch the picture on a $35000 16-bpc screen... The reality is that even if they have $100,000 for a camera, it's not the Raytrix R29 that will afford them the resolution and versatility of the Merrill series. Also if a full frame (or 7680 x 4320 pixels) Foveon-based camera comes on the market, are we confident that Sigma will be able to upgrade SPP to output 16-bit JPEG XR or Linear DNG , Radiance RGBE or better, also with relevant gamut choices ?

Does anyone think it might warrant creating a synthetic (Huffman coded) X3F file with 12bpc values that would simulate the output of a Merrill sensor to evaluate any dispersion in SPP5.3.2 or Sigma is working on the case ?

Also besides using a 12bpc-capable screen with 8K resolution, it seems to me that a discrete RGB or RGBW pixel-based screen might not be optimal for a Foveon-based sensor. I rather converge RGB into one dot in the output, like it's done in the input, rather than spreading a color accurate dot into some form of triad.

On the other hand, I would see in all fairness that one would need RGGB screens to see RGGB Bayer-based pictures and RGBW screens to see RGBW Bayer-based pictures, requiring less  compensation and also to try to keep up with Foveon.

Chris

cquarksnow's gear list:cquarksnow's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow