how much should I pay for 2x2GB RAM/is it worth upgrading my early 2009 mac?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
how much should I pay for 2x2GB RAM/is it worth upgrading my early 2009 mac?
Oct 13, 2012

I'm upgrading my early 2009 white macbook to snow leopard

i also am thinking about upgrading my 2GB RAM to 4GB of RAM (i believe there are only 2 memory slots, and the max each slot can handle is 2GB)

i checked newegg, tigerdirect, and amazon. since i already have an amazon account with temporary prime membership, this seems to be the best deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-Macbook-KTA-MB667K2-4GR/dp/B001265GI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350093383&sr=8-1&keywords=PC2-5300+DDR2+667+MHz+Type+RAM

My memory is:

2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Is that a good deal for RAM? From what I've read it seems to be, but I just wanted to be sure.

Also, is it worth doing these small upgrades for my Mac? The battery has also expanded (is popping out) and barely lasts more than 2 hours with the lowest display setting, and only Chrome open to do some browsing and Google Docs (no video loading or anything).

I might buy a new off-brand battery as well...but with the OS+RAM+battery, the upgrades would cost around $100. Cheap for what I get, yes, but I'm wondering how much longer my hard drive will last, at which point who knows how much that would cost (I'm guessing around $200 plus installation, assuming replacing the internal hard drive is more complicated than replacing RAM), and that+the other upgrades wouldn't be too far off from a modern, cheap computer with equal or better specs (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow