Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matty W
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f1.4 build quality variation
Oct 13, 2012

When this lens was first launched the reviews were bad: not a true f1.4 (more of an f1.8/t2+); very poor edges; CA; hazy with significant veiling; poor resolution; not up to the standards of the 35mm and 85mm; etc. The lenstip review makes this look like a bad lens and most reviews from the same time do likewise.

Rokinon released a 24mm f1.4 for Canon, but Samyang did not and there were rumors that a revision was in the works. Now, the reviews of the Samyang lens are much more positive (as are the reviews of newer Rokinon versions, including the cinema lenses) and this seems to be on par with the other two. The photozone.de review is very positive; I would like that lens a lot!

My question is, have these uniformly improved or are there still variations in sample quality. I have the 35mm and 85mm Rokinons and both are great and exactly as one would expect based on reviews (the 35mm is better). I ordered a 24mm f1.4 today since it was on sale for $499. But I'm worried that if I receive old stock I will have a bad sample. How can I tell if I what I get is normal and should I expect it to be by now?

Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f1.4 owners...let me know your thoughts on this lens and its quality. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow