Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,480
Like?
Re: corrected link...
In reply to GegeNY, Oct 13, 2012

GegeNY wrote:

Thank you Jim.

I did check at Crucial, but I was thinking maybe with Windows 7 Ultimate I could use more memory, so I think this is not the case.

To bad because this is a superb computer.

Thank you again for your help.

Gerard

I did a search for that model on newegg in memory reviews, and couldn't find anyone that had upgraded it using memory from there.

Every once in a while, Crucial gets it wrong.  But, most of the time, they're right (and they'll usually even show more memory than the manufacturer shows some models can use if the chipset is capable of larger modules than were sold with a given box).

As for the Operating System, actually, you need 64 bit Win 7 just to use the full 4GB in it.  32 Bit Windows is only going to use a little over 3GB of memory, no matter how much you have installed.  Sometimes manufacturers sold systems with 32 Bit versions of Windows with 4GB in them (just because it's better to install matched paris of SODIMMs), even though 32 bit versions of Windows won't use more than about 3.2GB of the 4GB.

So, as long as you installed 64 Bit Windows 7 Ultimate, you should be able to use all 4GB of the memory you have installed (but, the same thing would apply to 64 Bit Win 7 Home Premium or Pro).  It looks like it sold with 64 Bit Vista Home Premium (which would also use the full 4GB)

So, chances are, you used a 64 bit version of Win 7 Ultimate when you upgraded it.  But, it does come both ways (they offer both 32 bit and 64 bit Versions of it), and if you installed 32 Bit Win 7 Ultimate, then it's only going to use around 3.2GB of the 4GB you have in it.

You can tell the OS you've got installed by clicking on your Start Button, then "right clicking" on Computer and selecting Properties.   Once you get to the Properties Section, you'll see a System section with a System type row.   If it says 32 Bit Operating System, it's not going to use the full 4GB you have installed.   If it says 64 Bit Operating System then it should use the full 4GB.

How much memory you can use depends on if you're using a 32 bit or 64 bit Version of Windows, not whether it's Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

Being able to use more memory with anything other than 64 Bit Home Premium only comes into play if you need more than 16GB (64 Bit Home Premium supports up to 16GB of memory).  So, you need to go 64 Bit Win 7 Pro or Ultimate if you need more than 16GB of memory.

But, your hardware would still need to support the amount of memory you want to install, and from what I can tell, your system can only use 4GB total (it has two memory slots and the max SODIMM size you can use is 2GB of 667Mhz or 800Mhz DDR2 according to Crucial).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow