Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252Gear list
Like?
Re: Understanding RAW and Raw. With particular reference to Olympus cameras
In reply to Bob Meyer, Oct 13, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

Mingjai wrote:

That reminds me--as a GH1 owner, an important discovery on this forum was that the GH1 RAWs have some NR cooked in to the RAW images by default. Paradoxically, setting the GH1's on camera NR setting to +1 or +2 eliminated NR in the RAW.

That's backwards. Setting NR to -2 eliminates NR, not +2 (or +1).

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

You'd think it's backwards, but it's been documented by our fellow forum members. Setting the NR to +1 or +2 results in no NR being applied to GH1 RAW files, while setting NR to -2, -1, or even 0 adds NR to RAW files at higher ISOs.

Check out this post (and thread)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/32843973

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow