Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
D800 rant after going into local store.
Oct 13, 2012

I live in a city population nearing .5million people. Like many places we have lost a lot of camera stores. Now we are down to 2 dedicated (not counting the 2 best buys or other Dept stores that don't carry higher end gear anyway).

I walk into the first place. I wanted to understand how crop mode worked through the view finder. I brought a 70-200 2.8 with me in the car just in case I wanted to test it with my lens. I ask them if they had a D800 or D600, they were out of stock on the 600 but had the D800. So they pull it out of the case, the price was $2999 for body only which I thought was a good price. So I asked if they could put a lens on it, they said they could but there was no battery in it so it wouldn't work. The sales person said if they put a battery in it, it would have to sell it as a demo. Right there I wanted to open my big mouth and say what makes them different than buying it online site unseen, but I didn't. I also asked about the price of the 5d3 which is another camera I am looking at. It was $3499 so I was a little aggravated that that was full price and I could not even try the D800. So the sales person said, let me get my card, I said that would not be necessary and I walked out. I go to the second store, they are in going out of business mode and had nothing as far as DSLR. I guess Wolf Camera stores must not be doing that well.

So now I know nothing more than I did before I went it, which is par for the course since the sales people when we had more shops did not know much anyway.

I guess that is life. It appears that we will lose all our camera stores because it is not a profitable business to get into, at least locally. I know someone is making money out there, just not the brick and mortar shops. In the last two stores I found the people rude for the most part so it would seem inevitable they would go out of business.

So I guess I will have to make the 80 mile trip to a 2.5mill population city and hopefully can find someplace that can demo a D800. You would think that Nikon would supply brick an mortars with a demo of their cameras if they are not going  to let the customer try them out.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow