Advantages of manual exposure?

Started Feb 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,258Gear list
Like?
Re: Advantages of manual exposure?
In reply to petermc45, Oct 12, 2012

petermc45 wrote:

I used to be on this forum a few years back with my D200 (lovely camera but ultimately too heavy)

I hope it's obvious why I am asking this question here.

What are the advantages of manual exposure? Why is some peoples eyes is it deemed superior to the alternative semi automatic modes – P, SP, AP, along with Program Shift and the other helpers Histogram, Exposure Compensation and Live View.

fI I could get better exposed photographs I would use it but I just can't see the advantages.

Any opinions welcome.

It's good for night photgraphy, flash photgraphy and with AutoISO, it lets you control both aperture and shutter speed.  It also works when your meter doesn't.

I use A mode most of time and spot meter with exposure lock and EC where required.  If i'm lazy, i use matrix metering.  It's silly to think that by using manual, you're somehow more in control...you can be just as in control using PAS modes when you spot meter...I prefer to let my camera do as much of the work for me as i can

If you use M mode and matrix metering and just zero the meter, you're not doing anything but extra work.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow