Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
Nikon D800 and Nikkor 28-300mm lens
Oct 12, 2012

My normal lenses when I'm not shlepping my gear with me everywhere I go are the holy trinity of Nikon zooms plus the 50mm and 85mm f/1.8G lenses. But when I'm traveling, I like to take my 28-300mm Nikkor lens to shave pounds off what I need to carry around with me. A recent post on using the Nikkor 24-120 lens, arguably a better lens than the 28-300, got me wondering whether I would be happy with the results from my D800 using this lens. So, I did some informal testing this afternoon. Perhaps I'm not demanding enough, but I was pretty pleased with the results, even pixel-peeping to 100%. The image below was shot handheld at 300mm and f/5.6 at 1/160th of a second and an ISO of 1600. An earlier shot at half the shutter speed and double the ISO didn't turn out appreciably different. Anyway, I don't buy into the idea that you can only use the most expensive lenses on the D800. Even at 100%, this image is tack sharp, and I did not do anything special with my technique. BTW, the bloom in the foreground and just to the right of the midline was where my focus was placed.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow