400GB of storage - what's the best solution?

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968
Like?
400GB of storage - what's the best solution?
Oct 12, 2012

I'll be traveling, and I think amassing ~9000 D800E NEF's at 43MB each, this works out to be around 400GB. What options are there for this amount of storage while traveling?

My leading option is simply to buy three 128GB SDXC cards, about $120 (Lexar 400x) each, but I'm wondering if there are alternatives. Especially as I might actually want to make two copies of each file.

I don't want to tote around an entire laptop, so that's out. However, I will have a 7" Android tablet (Nexus, Kindle, Samsung, etc). Does anyone know if you can read 128GB SDXC cards in these tablets, and then plugin a 2.5" HDD on a USB cable and copy from the SDXC card to the HDD through the tablet? Given the tablet is coming anyway, this would only add a very small amount of extra luggage, and I presume a simple 2.5" drive and USB enclosure is fairly cheap.

Another option is self powered memory card to HDD readers, but for a 500GB version, what options are there? I have the impression these are as expensive as just buying the memory cards, but don't know the options well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Roland.

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow