borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Re: M9 with 35mm or Fuji X100 dilemma?
In reply to rajatbhardwaj, Oct 12, 2012

rajatbhardwaj wrote:

parlens wrote:

rajatbhardwaj wrote:

This is a very interesting question, and something that I struggle with.

I recently bought an X100, and like one of the other posters said, I still lust after a Leica.

But to me, paying for a Leica was a much easier bite to take when digital photography wasn't in the equation. A film Leica could be said to be "worth the money" as it was something you buy once in your life and never again. Film had over a 100 years (I'm making this number up) to be perfected, and no matter what anyone says, we are not there with digital.

But shooting film these days is cumbersome (I know, I know, first world problems). But buying a digital Leica, which will have an improved sensor come out in the next 12-18 months means that two things will happen:

1) You'll invariably want the newer thing. Because no matter what anyone says about your camera not breaking when the new one comes out, there is marked improvements in sensor design year over year, and most people want that improvement.

2) The one you own will be worth less, because of everyone else succumbing to 1) above.

I know more than anyone that the camera doesn't make the picture, the photographer does. But we're strictly talking about equipment here, and I just have a tough time buying a digital Leica when a much better one will be out next year.

That wasn't the case with film, there were only incremental improvements in the body. And if new film came out, then you spent $4 to buy a new roll

How are you enjoying your X100 Rajat?

Do you think you can justify the cost of a Leica after using the X100 at the X100's price? Of course, Leica will be better in some terms...but not in proportion to the cost increase over the X100 and the X100's features and IQ?

Your comments?

So far, I'm looooooving the X100. The image quality is great, I take it in places I would never take my 5D. Don't mind the post processing, it's not indicative of the full quality of the X100. I just like giving my photos and old film look:

She's so excited, and she just can't hide it.

The thing I don't like about it is the manual focus. It's pretty much useless. You *can* do the zone focusing just fine. But explicitly manually focusing on something is not a fun exercise.

I have never shot with an M9 (I hope to soon). But I think the M9 wouldn't meet the criteria of "I take it places I would never take my 5D" only because of the price. If the X100 gets water on it or breaks, it'll hurt, but it'll be fine. I can get another one. If that happened to an M9 and a Leica lens, I would cry. Literal tears streaming down my face

So far, I love the X100. I'm sure I would love the M9 even more. But it is heavier, bigger and more expensive and wouldn't go as many places with me as the X100 would.

Obviously the X100 is a fixed lens, which is great with me as I'm a fan of 35mm equivalent lens. If you aren't, then obviously, the X100 wouldn't be a great fit

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Not to be rude or anything, but, that "old film look" you are talking about makes the pictures look like they could have been taken with a very old mobile phone camera. Even the iPhone 4/4S photographs would look a whole lot better in regards to image quality.

Each to their own I guess.

Also, if you buy a Leica you need to USE it and don't think of it's value. There's no reason to purchase something and put it in a closet because you are afraid to use it.
On every camera and lens that I have had for the last 7 years I have ALWAYS purchased a insurance. Right now I pay about $100/year for a insurance on my MM + 50 Lux that covers theft, accidental damages (if I run over the camera with a car for example), weather damage, and basically ALL sorts of damage or accidents to the gear. I had this on my DSLR's, my X-Pro1, and everything... Just so that I don't have to worry and be afraid to actually use the cameras no matter what.

A insurance is well worth it.

borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow