Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 1,970
Like?
Your opinion on the best travel system
Oct 12, 2012

If you did travel photography for a living, but this included both significant trekking (minimizing the amount of gear you could bring) as well as photos in areas where you don't want to attract attention (so something small and quiet) what would you set up?  The priority being landscape (50%), Street Photography (25%) Portraits (25%).  I am considering investing in two systems amongst the following:

Nikon D800E (heavy, expensive, large system (both cameras and lenses), but durable, excellent IQ, wide variety of lenses, good battery life for long treks)

Sony Nex6 or 7 (no truly excellent native lenses, mediocre battery life)

Sony RX-1 (unproven, seems to have a heavy AA filter resulting in somewhat soft images, likely mediocre battery life)

Fuji X-E1 (issues with foliage - watercolor effect- and likely mediocre battery life and questionable durability, but small with good lenses, and excellent JPEGs (smaller files))

Sigma DPM2: Awful battery life, slow AF, lousy high ISO, but incredibly sharp files excellent for landscapes (which would be shot at ISO 100 anyway)

Olympus O-MD: Small sensor size, but small, durable, excellent native lenses (although becoming expensive)

My original lean was towards an Fuji X-E1 and Sigma DPM2, and eventually either the D800E or some other FF camera later on, but recently I am questioning this.  The battery life of DPM series is disturbing, and I feel like perhaps the Sony Nex would be as good or better for landscapes (where I would shoot at low ISO).  What choices have you made/would you make and why?

Note: I will not be looking at crop DSLRs - like the Pentax K-5IIs.  If I am going to have a DSLR, I will stick with a FF body.

-TBri

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800E Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow