Switching from Canon 7D to FF (advice needed)

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hikaruggggg
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Switching from Canon 7D to FF (advice needed)
Oct 12, 2012

Facts:
- Currently I am using 7D + 35L + 17-40L + 70-200 f/4L
- I am planning to get 85 f/1.8 for shallower DoF for my kids
- I think I will love my new focal lengths of my existing lenses more - 35L and 70-200 @ 7D is a bit narrow for me and I always think it would be better if they are slightly wider; not sure about 17-40 as I usually have my 35L on my 7D; but it looks like 17-40 will be very useful during travel with a FF body
- I usually use my 7D for my travels and kids, both indoor and outdoor
- I love shallow DoF
- I prefer lighter weight so that's why I got 35L and the 2 f4 lenses instead of f/2.8
- I usually shoot ISO 1600 indoor, or use built-in flash
- I only shoot raw and process them in LR4; will pull/push highlights/shadows extensively
- Actually I don't print and only view it on my LCD screen.. 
I am thinking upgrading to FF; so the logical path would be getting 5D3.........
but I have tried both 5D3 and D800 and I like D800 much more than 5D3 - much better controls/customizations, with built-in flash, better sensor, better features (time lapse, non live-view fact detection, AF-linked spot metering, etc)
 But I don't think I need 36M since I don't print any photos so the main reason for me to go FF is DoF; but I am really impressed in the ability of recovering from shadow with D800 raw file;

I don't know whether it is a good idea to sell my 3 L glasses and go for Nikon D800 (or D600 for lighter body) at this moment; I don't really know the performance of 35G and there is no 70-200 f/4 in Nikon world; but it looks like 85 f/1.8G is a great lens

I think what I can do now is
- Just continue using my 7D and the L glasses I have
- Sell my 7D and get 5D3, looks like most logical thing to do, but just afraid Nikon will always lead the game in the future so I will probably keep having the same thought switching over to Nikon
- Sell my Canon gears and get Nikon D800 + 24-120G f/4 VR+ 35 f/1.4G + 85 f/1.8G, which is quite expensive
- Sell my Canon gears and get Nikon D600 Kit + 28 f/1.8G + 85 f/1.8G, much cheaper alternative....

So just want to see if anyone can give me any suggestions; thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow