Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
EPL5 first impressions
Oct 12, 2012

I picked up an EPL5 for my GF a couple of days ago and have had a bit of a play with it. I think there is only a limited amount worth saying about the camera. It obviously has the OMD sensor so we know about the photo quality. I also never bought the EPL3 (I have an OMD) so I cant say much about features that have been introduced on the new model.

So what is there to like? Well the focus speed is very good. I cant tell whether it is faster or slower than the OMD. The ability to use a small focus area is also a nice touch which would be nice to see on the OMD.

The camera also has what it calls HDR bracketing which I assume is AEB and this can be programmed to the function button - toggle on, toggle off. Again something that would be great to see on the OMD.

My GF really likes the flip LCD which flips up 180 degrees so that she can take pictures of herself! Personally I didnt like the LCD at all - it is obviously tiny, it really isnt very clear (compared to the OMD) and I find the concept of a 16:9 LCD for a 4:3 sensor rather irritating.

One other good feature is the introduction of lens IS priority (set to off by default). This allows you to use the OIS in panasonic lenses. I say this is good because my feeling is that the IBIS in the EPL5 isnt actually up to much. The EPL5 has IBIS in both stills and movie mode (the movie mode is supposed to have extra IS for when you are walking.)

Here is a quick video which compares IBIS on the OMD and EPL5.

http://web.photodex.com/view/ma2bw28

Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow