My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
klauspauk
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.
In reply to Chris_in_Osaka, Oct 12, 2012

Chris_in_Osaka wrote:

Picked up the new Oly body cap lens last night. Today is the official release date in Japan (one weak late).

The good:

It's cheap.

It's by far the best body cap I've ever had.

It's better than Holga M4/3 lenses in the same price range.

The bad:

It's now officially the worst lens I own. No wonder Olympus list it under "accessories" rather than "lenses".

I haven't been using it long, but from what I can tell, 70-80% of my images are garbage.

First and foremost is focus. One issue, at least in my copy, is the amount of looseness/play between the "infinity" and "distant" mark. Close up shooting? Forget it. I haven't been able to get anything in focus using my E-PL3 (I have yet to mount it on my OM-D).

Fringing and distortion are all over the place.

Then there is the f8 setting. I seem to be getting a lot of camera shake (this I admit is more my fault for not paying attention to the lighting and keeping in mind I'm stuck at f8).

Basically, I can't see myself ditching my 17mm f2.8 for this. There isn't THAT much size difference to make up for all the issues.

The only way I can see myself using this is, perhaps, when shooting with art filter, particularly the grainy black and white one.

Oh well, it's a cheap. And it's one heck of a body cap.

Anyway, here are a few of the very few that shots that show this lenses passable results.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

When you look at these photos taken with this lens, what do you think ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/an_aussie_in_guernsey/tags/bodycaplens15mm180/

klauspauk's gear list:klauspauk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow