My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
My new 15mm f8. Cheap...but disappointing.
Oct 12, 2012

Picked up the new Oly body cap lens last night. Today is the official release date in Japan (one weak late).

The good:

It's cheap.

It's by far the best body cap I've ever had.

It's better than Holga M4/3 lenses in the same price range.

The bad:

It's now officially the worst lens I own. No wonder Olympus list it under "accessories" rather than "lenses".

I haven't been using it long, but from what I can tell, 70-80% of my images are garbage.

First and foremost is focus. One issue, at least in my copy, is the amount of looseness/play between the "infinity" and "distant" mark. Close up shooting? Forget it. I haven't been able to get anything in focus using my E-PL3 (I have yet to mount it on my OM-D).

Fringing and distortion are all over the place.

Then there is the f8 setting. I seem to be getting a lot of camera shake (this I admit is more my fault for not paying attention to the lighting and keeping in mind I'm stuck at f8).

Basically, I can't see myself ditching my 17mm f2.8 for this. There isn't THAT much size difference to make up for all the issues.

The only way I can see myself using this is, perhaps, when shooting with art filter, particularly the grainy black and white one.

Oh well, it's a cheap. And it's one heck of a body cap.

Anyway, here are a few of the very few that shots that show this lenses passable results.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow