Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kevm14
Senior MemberPosts: 2,253
Like?
On my second D600: Broken diopter adjustment
Oct 11, 2012

Well I'm pretty bummed out at the moment.  Been years since I've posted here and I regret the circumstances (I'm from the D70s and D1H forums).

I ordered a D600 kit from Amazon last week and upon putting the camera to my face I immediately knew a diopter adjustment needed to be made (blurry).  So I turned the knob.  It clicked, but nothing at all happened in the viewfinder.  I did some research and found a fellow on Amazon who had the same problem.  I then called Nikon tech support who told me they hadn't heard of it.  I returned the camera to Amazon.

Earlier this week I re-ordered from Adorama, thinking if this was going to be a problem, I'd rather have it on order through a real photo supply store.  I got my new D600 kit today.  I put the camera to my face and initially breathed a sigh of relief: the viewfinder was almost clear right off the bat.  Then I tried the wheel.  Oh no!!  Still does nothing at all.  It clicks, it hits the stops at the + and - limits but it does NOTHING.  My D70s and D1H offer a huge adjustment range (goes from full blurry to clear to blurry, across the range), so it's not me.

So I will exchange this body through Adorama, which will put me on my third body.  I called Nikon tech support this evening for a second time and formally logged the issue with a ticket.  The tech thanked me for taking the time to inform them of my issue (I waited 25 minutes on hold for this) and said this will be elevated for investigation.  I gave him the serial number of this body, but neglected to record the serial number of the first body.

After all that: has anyone else had this problem, or can you guys try your diopter wheel and tell me what happens?

This is still the early days for the D600 so I understand teething issues.

On a side note, the performance from this camera completely blows me away.  I am totally impressed.  But I expect a functioning dioptric adjustment...

Nikon D1H Nikon D600 Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow