Understanding RAW and Raw. With particular reference to Olympus cameras

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?
Re: Understanding RAW and Raw. With particular reference to Olympus cameras
In reply to John Bean (UK), Oct 11, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Some camera raw files over the years have been shown to be partly "cooked" but not in the way this confusing article describes; indeed as others have pointed out it is not describing the raw data at all but the subsequent manipulation after capture - which is what raw is all about in the first place.

It did however remind me to check something else out: some time ago I had read "somewhere on the internet" (sorry, can't remember where) that the E-M5 actually modified raw data to correct lens geometry rather than just supplying metadata to the raw converter as other micro 4/3 cameras do. I meant to check it out at the time but forgot until now.

Unsurprisingly a quick test reveals it to be completely untrue; the E-M5 raw is as raw as any other camera. Yet another "I read it on the internet" myth dispelled

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

That reminds me--as a GH1 owner, an important discovery on this forum was that the GH1 RAWs have some NR cooked in to the RAW images by default. Paradoxically, setting the GH1's on camera NR setting to +1 or +2 eliminated NR in the RAW.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow