The Magic? of FX (and DX) and the mythical D400

Started Oct 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
talmy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007Gear list
Like?
Re: You're still arguing in a circle talmy...
In reply to JimPearce, Oct 11, 2012

JimPearce wrote:

What is it about the DX sensor - that currently accounts for over 70% of current DSLR and mirrorless sales - that singles just this sensor size out for elimination? I realize that the image of a squeeze is simple - and thus compelling - but the fact is that more DX cameras will be sold in 2012 than any previous year.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Well, the DX sensor accounted for 100% of the DSLR (and there was no mirrorless) sales a few years ago, so it is dropping. The high end of the market has already gone FX. You can't get a new D2x anymore, nor would you want one. The mid level appears to be going FX. The D700 begat the D800 yet the D300s successor is yet to be seen even though the D300s is getting really old. The D600 surely looks like a D7000 successor, albeit at a price that's too high for the average D7000 purchaser.

What isn't moving to FX? I don't really see a D3000 or D5000 class consumer camera in FX, quite possibly ever. I expect the low end of the DX market will go to micro 4/3rds or similar (Nikon 1) or high end point-and-shoot which are surprisingly good.

Hey, I'm really happy with my D300s, but I'm not about to buy a D400 (if it comes out) or any more DX lenses.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ButNew
OkayNew
YepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow