Advice on buying a printer for printing on cardstock (i.e. paper over 270gm or 100lb thick)

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Questions thread
jeffsw6
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: Advice on buying a printer for printing on cardstock (i.e. paper over 270gm or 100lb thick)
In reply to ryanhunt, Oct 11, 2012

I'm a novice, but I'd think you just want a printer with a straight feed path that is intended for printing on photographic paper or card stock.  The Epson photo papers, Red River, and most others I've seen, are generally in the 200gsm to 300gsm range and are certainly compatible with most printers intended for this kind of duty.

I think you should consider the availability of third-party ink supplies, or the cost of OEM ink, in your printer choice.  This was the most important thing to me in choosing a printer, after the maximum paper size.  I was first considering an Epson R2880, but upon receiving some good advice on this forum, bought a 3880 instead.  It did not take much time in Excel for me to figure out the (slightly) more expensive printer was a better investment.  Also, a mail-in rebate made the price difference quite small.

So in my novice opinion, you should be okay with most printers intended to print on heavy photographic paper from the rear input tray; but you may wish to consider consumables cost carefully before finalizing your decision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow