Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bencho
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Which Wide Zoom D7K-- Nikon 10-24 | Nikon 12-24 | Tokina 12-24
Oct 11, 2012

Read the other wide zoom thread but it's a few months old. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on them either. I'm saving for a wide zoom and there seems to be pros and cons to all of them.

I'd like to get some more definitive answers before I make my next purchase.

This lens would be used in both indoor and outdoor situations. Indoor would probably be for museums, architecture. Outdoor would be for vacation, landscapes, and I'd like to think it would be good for automotive photography as well. All in all, I'm not sure how much time this would spend on my camera. The range is much less versatile than my 18-105 but I feel like I would grow to use it more for a bunch of specific applications that I plan to try.

From what I've read, the Tokina has the best build quality, but also the highest amount of distortion and CA. It's sharper overall than the Nikons. Oh and there are 2 versions of the 12-24. Which one is subjectively better?

The Nikons appear to have better control over the distortion and less CA, but they get softer, from the center, faster than the Tokina. I also can't really figure out the biggest difference between the 10-24 vs 12-24.

Pricing is also pretty varied among the three. I wouldn't mind saving up longer for the more expensive lens, but it needs to be right for my applications.

Please help steer me! Thanks!

-- hide signature --

noobie armed with a d7000. LEARNING!

bencho's gear list:bencho's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow