Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OnceUpOnaTrip
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Complete beginner... Which camera??? Which book???? ~*~Thanks!~*~
Oct 11, 2012

I am a complete beginner!  I have only used the simple point and shot, auto focus type cameras. I want to buy a camera with a couple of lenses and a really good book then learn how to use them (the hands on way~ I guess).

I have a budget of around $1,000 (to $1,500 if necessary) for a camera and lense kit.

I have 3 kids so I want to be able to take a variety of pictures. My daughter plays valleyball and basketball so I want something that can do action in a low light gym. My son runs cross country so I need to do distant action photos. I also have a newborn so I want to be able to take close ups of him doing his thing.

What camera (or cameras) would you suggest to get me started? I realize I will need to upgrade down the road.

Also, is there a book that is good for teaching a newbie like me??? (I know I can read stuff on internet but honestly I don't even know where to start. So, a book that goes chapter by chapter seems like a good way to start!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer this post! I really apprecite your willingness to help me.

OnceUpOnaTrip's gear list:OnceUpOnaTrip's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow