Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fabio Amodeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro1 RAW: Not an issue
In reply to a l b e r t, Oct 11, 2012

a l b e r t wrote:

Chris,

(...)I found that the ACR output from the RAF files can't take too strong of an unsharp mask, unlike my FF Nikon.

Moire is still an issue, so it is not like X-Trans has solved this problem completely.  The camera's RAW engine does produce less moire than ACR.  After working with X-Trans' RAF files, I wish there is a Bayer sensor at 16mpix in XPro1.

(...)

I find that noting that the X-Trans sensor cannot take a stronger USM is a bit of nonsense. USM is needed in shots taken thorugh Bayer sensors to balance the quality loss caused by the fact of shooting through dirty glasses (namely the AA filter). With X.Trans you don't ​need​ that much USM because there are no dirty glasses. In fact a low USM is quite enough to bring out all the sharpness the sensor.lens combo can provide: anything more only destroys the fine passages of values near the borders which are in my opinion one of the merits of the camera.

In 2700 shots of all kinds made with the camera in all situations, from studio to events to lanscape, I still have to see a moiré issue. The only one I saw was in a Reid test, constructed on purpose to test the moiré appear.

As far as the general issue is concerned, a Fuji spokesman confessed that it took Fuji science people an enormous effort to write the demosaicing codes; and the camera innards reveal an on-purpose chip design to apply the codes in decent time. I think the software companies simply do not have the human resources to devote to the problem of a tiny (for the moment) user base, when other cameras, like the new Nikons and Canons, with a much bigger user base, keep coming out and require most of the man-time on hand. X-Trans is a big problem with few users. The XE-1 may change things, but in the while I find that generating TIFFs through Fuji-Silkypix converter with nothing done but a “low contrast” command, and treating the TIFFs in LR applying the profiles I have created for different light situations is reasonably quick, is a simple addition to my usual workflow and gives me exciting results, better than any DSLR I used in the past (no great gear in the D800 class, I confess). A2 prints come out beautiful.

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow