Considering NEX-5n... What Accessories/Lens Should I Get With It?

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ResearchKen
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Considering NEX-5n... What Accessories/Lens Should I Get With It?
Oct 11, 2012

I've been looking at this camera for a while now and even with all the research I've done, I still have some questions.

This will be my first serious camera purchase.  I've been weighing whether or not to go with the NEX or an entry level DSLR for the past few months now.  I'm not sure how serious I will get with this hobby, and after the price drop for the 5n, it's been constantly on my mind.

Now, I really am not familiar with lens types or much photography terminology, so bare with me.  I like scenery/landscape type photos the most, but I plan on using this camera for everything to be honest. (portraits, video, close-ups etc)

Amazon has the 5n with the kit lens (18-55mm) for 478.  (lol, it was just 499 yesterday)  They're also throwing in a 32 Transcend SDHC card for like 20 bucks.  So for a little over 500 I can get the body, lens and card.

Amazon is also knocking off 100 bucks off of the E 55-210mm with the purchase of the camera before November 3rd.

With all that being said, is the E 55-210mm a good lens to have in addition to the kit one?  Or should I put that money into a different lens?  Is that card good for video recording?

I plan on ordering rather soon as I'm going on vacation next week and with Amazon Prime, I'll have it here tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

ResearchKen's gear list:ResearchKen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N HTC Evo LTE 4G
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow