ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Like?
Trans-Mongolian, M9
Oct 11, 2012

Hi all,

I've been away from the Forum lately doing a little bit of travelling. I hope I find you all fine and well!

Apparently a few things have been happening in my absence - a new DPR layout and something about an M10.....!!?  Maybe I imagined the M10 bit, because I swear I heard someone say it had video!.... Can't be true !

Anyway, I took a long train ride recently across Russia or to be precise I rode the Trans-Mongolian railway from Moscow to Beijing. Preparing for the trip I read on several forums that the Trans-Mongolian railway was a terrible idea for people keen on photography - since you spend a lot of time watching interesting landscapes pass by through dirty carriage windows.

That sounded to me like an challenge to me. I thought if its hard to take photos of the landscape you pass through would it be better to concentrate on the train -  the passengers, the staff and platform vendors along the way. It was quite hard but an interesting constraint.

I read a book by Wang Fuchun when I got to Beijing called "Chinese on the Train" which has some truly excellent photographs in it taken with an Leica M. Jacob Aue Sobol also used the Trans-mongolian as a means of testing the Leica MM. His images are phenomenal.  My photos are obviously not in the same league as either but I enjoyed trying. Here are my efforts:

M9 50mm f1.4 or 35mm f2

Warm regards to you all. Comments and intelligent criticism is always welcome.

Paul

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RaajNew
PaulNew
JohnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow