Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daniel Da Meda
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: Image of dust/oil on my new D600 sensor. Is this acceptable?
In reply to gobiassumcoffee, Oct 11, 2012

Hi there,

It is nice to find someone with the same problem I have. I bought my D600 on last 24th of September from Jessops here in the UK along with a 24-300 Nikon lens. Since it was a brand new camera, I did not even think about dust spots. I had my D90 for such a long time without any problems... So, I went to the isle of Crete in Greece. In fact, I am still here in Greece quite disappointed so this is why I am writing. I started taking some amazing pictures with the D600. What a nice camera... I then decided to take some pictures above F10...

I have never seem such a huge amount of what I must call debris in a sensor before. Please see the attached pictures. If you cannot see the pictures, please let me know so that I will attempt to find another method of sharing.

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 1@F25

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 2@F25

Nikon D600 Dust Sample 3@F3.5

You must think that I have changed my lenses in the middle of a dirt bike race or something. In fact, I think I may have some OCD when it comes to taking care of my camera. I simply cannot understand how such huge amount of oil/dust got in there. Was it always there since new?

One thing I did was to take quite a lot of shots in time-lapse mode and quite a few successive shots in continuous drive focus mode.

I did not bring my blower to Greece so I have no way of attempting to clean it. I had a look at the filter with the mirror up and cannot see anything.

I have no idea if this is oil or just dust.

So, you are not alone.

I can't wait to go back to the UK so that I can go to Jessops and talk to the guys about it. The camera is around 20 days with very few actuations.

Another disappointment came when I checked the camera price at Jessops yesterday. To my astonishment, the camera I paid £ 1.995 on last September 24th is now £ 330 cheaper.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Daniel Da Meda

Daniel Da Meda's gear list:Daniel Da Meda's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow