Optimizing your Pop-Up Flash results - Direct comparison between different methods and modifiers

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
denny2020
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Re: Optimizing your Pop-Up Flash results - Direct comparison between different methods and modifiers
In reply to Marc de Vries, Oct 11, 2012

Marc de Vries wrote:

First is direct flash without a diffuser.
Second is with a small diffusser. A Gary Fong puffer or something like that. Very little improvement.

the last one has all the light reflected to the ceiling.  Perhaps a mirror in front of the flash? The risk with this is that the ceiling might be too high and you get deep shadows on the eyes.

In this case it's not bad, but it seems a little underexposed.

The third one has a lot of light reflected off the ceiling, but also some direct flash. (easy to see from the catchlight in the eyes) If you look carefully you also see the hard schadow from the direct flash. But since the light from the ceiling fills the shadow it's difficult to see the shadow from the direct light.

Since the last shot seems a little underexposed this shot looks better at first sight. But I think the last show will look better with proper exposure.

In this situation the third option gives quite nice results, but it might change a lot depending on the situation. (darker ceiling, higher ceiling etc)

It looks a bit like the result you get with a speedlight pointed straight up with a bit of the bouncecard raised.

Awesome deductions Marc.  You are buzz on.  I will post how I achieved that third lighting with my popup flash DIY diffuser hopefully in the next week.  Stay tuned.  Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow