Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030Gear list
Like?
I agree, not unreasonable size
In reply to Dheorl, Oct 11, 2012

Hi,

I am a long time 4/3 user with E1/E3/E5 mult lenses incl 12-60, 50-200. etc

I have been using an EM5 with mult lenses incl 7-14, 12-35, 12, 75, 35-100 on order), etc.  (recently 2 weeks in Iceland)

Currently the 12-35 lives on the camera and I always use the horizontal part of the grip attached. which makes the larger/heavier lenses much more stable to hold and control.  The grip adds 100gms and about 10mm in height.  One still needs to add the flash for flash fill (which I use routinely).

In effect, the OM-d + grip + flash is the SAME size and weight as the GH3 by itself. (here grip + flash built in)

Additionally the buttons on the EM-5 are small,fiddly and difficult to use in cold or inclement weather.  The control wheels move too easily in one's bag so that between uses it is necessary to turn it off.  (Oly needs a larger pro level body - a mini E5?)

The controls and button appear beefier on the GH3 (I hope so) and so assuming the still IQ is equivalent to the EM-5 (which is outstanding BTW) and the dual control wheels work as they should (see my other question/thread) I will probably buy one for my general and travel photography due to the "larger" size and better control ergonomics, but keep my EM-5 for a backup and for street photography.

just my $0.02

Ed

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow