Challenging Canon quality control

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Bau
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Re: Challenging Canon quality control
In reply to John Bau, Oct 11, 2012

I received the SX30 back from Canon repair yesterday. And I am very happy to report, this is literally a transformed camera. Every single one of my complaints has been addressed, and then some.

Of course, I have no idea what parts, if any, that they replaced inside. The only thing I can see is that the firmware was updated from version E to L. I suspect there are significant processing differences in the firmware, but that's just a hunch.

The result is: MUCH more accurate colors. No more purple and green wierdness in skies. Better exposures. MUCH better autofocus (that wasn't one of my complaints...) The camera doesn't seem as prone to overexposing highlights. And noise is lower. But most surprising is the significantly reduced CA and PF. Huge difference. I'll post some before/after crops this weekend.

From this experience, it's pretty clear to me that the repair facilities give a camera a much more thorough scrutiny and setup than comes from the assembly lines. If you bought a new or refurb camera and not as expected, by all means, don't live with it. Send it back for repair.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow