Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Cheap macro lens for Lumix G3?
In reply to jalywol, Oct 11, 2012

jalywol wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

andrethaiss wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and I really like the users on here and I guess I should get some good advice from the professionals.

So I have started to get interested into photography after my mother recieved a Canon Powershot SX40HS, which is a bridge camera. Since then I have been in love with photography, specially flowers and close ups. I was thinking of starting off with a cheap m43 camera such as the GF3/G3 to start photography as I would like a larger sensor than the regular point and shoots

HOWEVER, you do NOT have to buy an expensive macro lens if you are willing to use manual focus.  If you are, you can buy a decent legacy lens (an older macro made for an SLR type camera).  These can typically be had for between 50-100, and an adapter for the M43 mount is around $20.  I use a very vintage Nikon 55mm (micro-Nikkor) f3.5 non-AI lens, which cost me all of about $50; so for a grand total of $70 I have a really excellent macro that works wonderfully.

By the way, most people find that even with an autofocus macro lens, most of the time you will use manual focus when taking very close up shots, since it affords you a degree of precision that it's hard to replicate in auto mode.....

Some photos from the vintage Nikon macro lens below....

-J

Very good advise.  I use Minolta, Canon FD & Super Takumar SLR Macro lenses on my M4/3 cameras with great results.  As mentioned, you will likely want to use manual focus with a native lens anyway to obtain critical focus where you want it.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow