ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hexagram
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Best 50mm for a 5D Classic / MK1
Oct 11, 2012

Hi all,

So I bought a classic Canon 5D the other day . Quite excited to be moving up to full frame and planning on building a nice collection of fast primes to use on it.

I'm looking for a 50mm prime and to aid me in my selection I've been looking at the DxO lens comparison tool to see how the different lenses perform on the 5D. Helpfully enough they've all been tested - the Canon 50mm 1.4, the 50mm 1.8, the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and the Zeiss Planar 1.4 (MF only I know).

Optically the best choice seems to be the Sigma 50mm f1.4, as it just edges out the Canon 1.4. It also has much better build quality. I know that quality control isn't Sigma's strong point and that I might have to send them the body AND the lens if it exhibits the noted front/back focusing issues, but that's not a problem for me as I live 10 minutes drive from their service centre.

Is there anything I haven't considered either functionality wise ? Some gremlin of an issue that will bite me if I go for one choice over another ? Is there another lens I could also consider ?

Many thanks in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow