New DLO + DPP + 40mm STM + 5DMKII/III is pixel peeping great!

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,181Gear list
Like?
New DLO + DPP + 40mm STM + 5DMKII/III is pixel peeping great!
Oct 11, 2012

The 40mm STM 2.8 pancake is already a sharp sharp prime out of the box that is real cheap.  I was not expecting much improvement at *all* with DLO because I remember using DLO on a 17-55 2.8 which was also rather sharp and not being wholly impressed.  However for whatever reason DLO truly does a number on the 40mm STM 2.8 making this thing the best bang for the buck walkaround *ever*.  Will post some 100% crop comparisons between a LR4 lens profiled and CA corrected shot vs Canon DPP + DLO soon.  I'm still experimenting and absolutely loving what I see.  I feel I'm seeing the *most* improvement yet with this 40mm STM (I haven't tried much other DLO lens except 17-40L and 17-55).  I think the reason for such a substantial improvement is that copies of 40mm STM 2.8's are so optically consistent that they can really profile this lens to extremely tight tolerances.

The future of Canon I think is still extremely bright with Canon's R&D and work in lens profiling and tighter optical tolerances of new and upcoming lenses.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow