Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Benna78
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Xpro1 RAW: what's the story?
Oct 11, 2012

I know the subject has already been discussed, but after having searched the internet I got very worried about xpro1-RAF processing. I like to shoot jpeg, and they are really good, but even if I'm not a post production lover I understand you can't have a good raw file: it gives you more "degrees of freedom" in creating your final picture. When I bought my fuji I didn't think much about raw, to be honest; simply because I didn't even consider that a new 1700$ camera so much hyped for image quality couldn't have adequate raw support. I thought "it will be just matter of time".

But reading the chromasoft website threw me in panic: apparently it's very difficult to demosaic properly the raf, and there are also color accuracy problems (red and blue have less filters than in bayer mask). The conclusion is despite the lack of an AA filter the resolution is slightly lower than in a conventional 16MP bayer sensor: "So my conclusion is, sorry to say, that the Fuji X-Pro1 X-Trans sensor doesn't deliver the Fuji promise of outperforming similarly sized sensors. In fact, it underperforms similar DX sensored cameras - with the official SILKPIX raw developer, the underperformance is too slight to be noticeable under normal circumstances, but is still there if you look closely."

I still couldn't try silkypix (I'm using a linux system), so I don't know if they have the right processing algorithms, but the chromasoft blogger conclusions made me sad somehow: is it possible that fuji fooled us all?

And again: how can you obtain so good in-camera jpeg with so small processing power (compared to a desktop PC)? Maybe the chromasoft blog is wrong after all...there is a system, simply fuji didn't reveal it...I don't know.

Help! I'm confused!

-- hide signature --

Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say... no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh... depended on the breaks.

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow