Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phaseout
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Early review and comparison of the X-E1 to previous models
Oct 11, 2012

I received my kit with the 35mmf/1.4 lens a coupe of days ago. I have owned the X-Pro 1 (not tried firmware 2.0) and currently own the X-100 so I can try to compare the camera to both.

The camera is beautiful like the others and feels really nice to hold. Slightly smaller and lighter than the X-pro 1 and slightly heavier than the X100. It is balanced perfectly with the 35mm lens. Having purchased the silver one I find it a nice mix of the Xpro 1 and X100. I dont miss the shutterspeed lock button of the X-Pro 1 and am glad it is gone. I have also never been a big fan of the OVF and welcomed the higher resolution of the X-E1 EVF. The OVF used to gather dust like crazy and my finger seemed to land right on it every time I would pick up the camera. The EVF lag is still present but minimal. THE EVF is clear and bright and has a diopeter adjustment. Overall the shooting experience is very similar but speedier to the X-Pro 1. The AF is noticably faster and locks on a lot better. I notice much less focus hunting. I'd say slightly faster focus than the X100 with the latest 1.3 firmware but alot less hunting, though not as fast as the OM-D. The AF accuracy is great just like the previous models. When the Fuji's lock on they usually tend to nail the target. Manual focus is a different story. The X-E1 is soooo much faster to manually focus. Its still focus by wire but is much improved. I wish Fuji would give us peaking but, oh well.

The previous models had several issues with memory cards. I can say that I have not experienced any lockups or delays with memory cards. The Flash is nice to have and can be raised up with your finger for bounce effect. I find this a very underrated feature. The camera settings are almost identical to the X-pro 1. I really miss setting the minimal shutter speed and having the Raw button double as a custom button like in the X100 but the Q menu is nice to have.

Overall I dont really see this as a reason to ditch an X-pro 1. It's a sweet camera that is definitely  faster than the X-pro 1 but its not a jaw dropping improvement. For me losing the OVF was welcome as is the improved performance but its not a game changer in any way and certainly not for those of you who love the OVF.

I really like this camera and whole heartedly recommend it for anyone who does not already own an X-Pro 1. Fuji is growing an awesome system that in my opinion blows anything other than full frame out of the water. If you're looking for a camera system to buy into, the X-E1 great place to start. No need to mention the 35mm f/1.4. Theres really no finer lens on any system for anything near it's price and the X-E1 is a joy to use with it.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the camera and Ill try my best to answer.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow