D800 image post-processing advice

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gradybaby
Contributing MemberPosts: 547
Like?
Re: D800 image post-processing advice
In reply to m_appeal, Oct 11, 2012

m_appeal wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Fill flash was not an option, because it would have ruined the casual moment. I kind of like the subject being darker than the background, but perhaps the brightness of the background is distracting.

I likedRay Ritchie wrote:

Nice portrait, but your exposure was adjusted for the background, not the subject. Probably needed some fill flash.

I'd suggest something like this (just a quick cut):

After straightening the horizon a little, I duplicated the background layer in Photoshop, then did a Quick Mask on the subject, and adjusted the curves on the masked layer to improve the subject exposure. I think the sharpening was fine at the original size - I only made a minor adjustment to that to try to retain the same impression of sharpness at this smaller size. I think you'd need to do some refinement of the mask for a final product, as this one seems to have a little too much halo.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Fill flash used properly would have gone unnoticed and would of helped to reduce the background exposure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow